The Friedensberg Bible Church (formerly Friedensberg Mennonite Church) (Mennonite Church USA) is a member of the Central Plains Mennonite Conference. It is located 65 miles southwest of Freeman, South Dakota in Bon Homme County, and eight miles southwest of Avon. The ancestors of the this church body left Prussia in 1798 under the leadership of Peter (Hans) Schmidt, and settled in Waldheim, a Mennonite village in Russian Poland, in 1838; in 1848 they organized Heinrichsdorf, Volhynia. In August 1874 the greater part left for New York, proceeding in September to Yankton, South Dakota. Seven families homesteaded late in 1874 and the remaining 35 families followed early in 1875. A new church was dedicated early in 1878. On 5 September 1878 Benjamin P. Schmidt was ordained as elder by S. F. Sprunger. Later the church was under the leadership of D. A. Schultz assisted by Henry U. Schmidt. Beginning in 1941, the church was under the leadership of Edward Duerksen. In 1953 the church had 91 members with Emil Krahn serving as pastor. Many members were called into the ministry and foreign missions. In 2006 the membership was 75.
 Additional Information
Address: 30992 406 Avenue, Avon, South Dakota
|Author(s)||J. A Boese|
 Cite This Article
Boese, J. A. "Friedensberg Bible Church (Avon, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 11 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Friedensberg_Bible_Church_(Avon,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=81027.
Boese, J. A. (1956). Friedensberg Bible Church (Avon, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 11 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Friedensberg_Bible_Church_(Avon,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=81027.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.