From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

A Mennonite family name in West Prussia, Franz appeared mainly in Frisian congregations. The name was first mentioned in 1578 at Montau and in 1595 at Scharfenberg. The majority, those living in the Vistula Valley and their descendants, adopted the forms Franz and Frantz. Members of the family moved to Poland, Russia (Molotschna), and subsequently to North America. Gysbert Franssen was an elder of the Danzig Flemish congregation 1588-1602. Heinrich Franz was a prominent teacher. In 1954 the name was represented by four Mennonite Brethren ministers in Kansas and five General Conference Mennonite ministers in Alberta, Ontario, Oregon, and Kansas. The Franz Farm Shop on the Bethel College campus was named in honor of Julius Franz. In Civilian Public Service (CPS), those named Franz or Frantz numbered 22. Rufus Franz served as a CPS camp director. L.J. Franz was president of Tabor College.


Author(s) Gustav Reimer
Date Published 1956


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Reimer, Gustav. "Franz (Frantz, Franzen, Fransen, Franssen, Frantzon) family." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 2 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Franz_(Frantz,_Franzen,_Fransen,_Franssen,_Frantzon)_family&oldid=87552.

APA style

Reimer, Gustav. (1956). Franz (Frantz, Franzen, Fransen, Franssen, Frantzon) family. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Franz_(Frantz,_Franzen,_Fransen,_Franssen,_Frantzon)_family&oldid=87552.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 379. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.