From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Wayne, Indiana, located in Allen County, is the second-largest city (population of 120,000 in 1950; 250,000 in 2008) in the stateAllen County. "Mad Anthony" Wayne built a stockade fort here in 1795. The first permanent settlement at Fort Wayne was made in 1815. For a long time Fort Wayne was a fur-trading center.

The Mennonites opened a Sunday school in Fort Wayne in 1903, and erected a building for worship in 1905. The present church was built in 1915. The city became the headquarters for the location of the Fort Wayne Bible College operated by this group, as well as a strong congregation. There was also an Evangelical Mennonite church in the city.


Author(s) John C Wenger
Date Published 1956


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Wenger, John C. "Fort Wayne (Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 22 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fort_Wayne_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=80906.

APA style

Wenger, John C. (1956). Fort Wayne (Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fort_Wayne_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=80906.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 356. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.