From GAMEO
Revision as of 14:33, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Vermilion, Alberta, a village and trading post located about 411 miles (661 km) northwest of Edmonton. In 1934 a few families of Old Colony Mennonites moved from Saskatchewan to this location in search of new colonization opportunities, and in 1937 they were followed by settlers from Mexico. In 1954 the Old Colony Mennonites in the vicinity numbered about 814 souls, one third of whom were dissatisfied colonists from Mexico. Their neighbors were few and were mostly Indians and Métis. There were three meetinghouses: Rosenfeld, Blumenort, and Rhineland. The bishop in charge was William Wiebe. Although the growing season is extremely short and equipment is very limited, farming has been the chief means of livelihood. The settlement is extremely isolated from the main stream of society, and the inhabitants hold very tenaciously to the customs of the fathers.

See also Peace River (Alberta, Canada) Old Colony Mennonite Settlement

Bibliography

Hostetler, John A. "Pioneering in the Land of the Mid­night Sun." Mennonite Life 3 (April 1948)

Nafziger, Martha B. "We Serve in the Land of the Midnight Sun." Youth's Christian Companion (7-14 November 1954).

Maps

Map:Fort Vermilion, Alberta


Author(s) John A Hostetler
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

Hostetler, John A. "Fort Vermilion (Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 15 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fort_Vermilion_(Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=94685.

APA style

Hostetler, John A. (1956). Fort Vermilion (Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 15 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fort_Vermilion_(Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=94685.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 356. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.