In the second half of the 1920s the Canadian Mennonite Board of Colonization, while looking for land to settle Mennonite immigrants from the Soviet Union, found that some land was available near the town of Fleming, Saskatchewan. Fleming is located in the Rural Municipality of Moosomin, RM 121, on the Trans-Canada Highway just six km west of the Manitoba border at: 50.0746°N 101.5111°W.
The group in this area was always small and contained both Mennonite Brethren and Conference of Mennonites in Canada members. In 1927 the Johann and Tina Harder family, together with brother-in-law Peter and Marie Kaethler family, bought a half section farm in the Fleming area. Harder served the group as pastor but the area suffered a number of years of drought and early in 1929 the Harder family left. In 1932 there were only eight Mennonite families and they met in homes for worship and to read printed sermons. Ältester Johann P. Klassen of the Schönwiese Mennonite Church visited the group twice a year for a number of years. Occasionally other pastors visited as in February 1932 when Ältester Franz F. Enns who gave a series of six messages. By the late 1940s poor agricultural prospects and the smallness of the group led most families to move to Ontario or further west.
Der Bote (23 March 1932): 3.
Regehr, T. D. A Generation of Vigilance: The Life and Work of Johannes and Tina Harder. Winnipeg, Manitoba, CMU Press. 2009: 54-56, 58, 75.
|Date Published||November 2010|
Cite This Article
Wiebe, Victor. "Fleming (Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2010. Web. 1 Dec 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fleming_(Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=80855.
Wiebe, Victor. (November 2010). Fleming (Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 December 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fleming_(Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=80855.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.