From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Morton Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), in the city of Morton, Tazewell County, Illinois, a member of the Illinois Mennonite Conference, is a merger of two older rural congregations, Pleasant Grove, near Tremont, IL, whose meetinghouse was erected in 1879, and Goodfield, near Goodfield, IL, whose building was erected in 1883. The church was dedicated on 4 May 1941. In 1957 the congregation had 200 members with Kenneth G. Good as bishop. In 2005 there were 266 members; Doane Brubaker was the pastor.

The name was changed to First Mennonite Church of Morton in 1961. A larger facility was built and dedicated at the present site in 1965.

The church is located at 250 S. Baltimore Ave, Morton IL 61550.

[edit] Bibliography

Mennonite Church USA. "Online Directory." Accessed 2 October 2006. <http://directory.mennoniteusa.org/congregation.asp?CongregationID=1603>


Author(s) Roy D Roth
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Roth, Roy D. "First Mennonite Church of Morton (Morton, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Mennonite_Church_of_Morton_(Morton,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=87512.

APA style

Roth, Roy D. (1957). First Mennonite Church of Morton (Morton, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Mennonite_Church_of_Morton_(Morton,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=87512.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 754. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.