From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

First Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), Hillsboro, Kansas, a member of the Western District Conference, was organized in 1884 by J. S. Hirschler, who served as minister 23 years. He was succeeded by H. D. Penner, who served for 16 years. J. H. Epp became the elder in 1914, holding this position for 26 years. H. T. Unruh served as pastor 1942-1952, J. W. Nickel 1952-1954, and Elbert Koontz 1955- . The congregation, beginning with 39 charter members, in 1955 had a membership of 356. The church building was constructed in 1886, and by 1955 had been enlarged and remodeled four times, the last being completed in 1950 with a seating capacity of 500. The membership in 2008 was 297; the pastor was Randy W. Smith.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 102 South Ash Street, Hillsboro, Kansas

Phone: 620-947-5662

Website: First Mennonite Church

Denominational Affiliations:

Western District Conference

Mennonite Church USA


Author(s) H. T Unruh
Date Published 1956


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Unruh, H. T. "First Mennonite Church (Hillsboro, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 11 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Mennonite_Church_(Hillsboro,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=80814.

APA style

Unruh, H. T. (1956). First Mennonite Church (Hillsboro, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 11 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Mennonite_Church_(Hillsboro,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=80814.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 742. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.