First Mennonite Church, 1477 West 73rd Street, Chicago, Illinois (Mennonite Church USA) had its beginning in a surge of city mission interest in the General Conference Mennonite Church between 1902 and 1920, and was the second of about eight city missions established. It began in 1914 as a rescue mission in the commercial center of Englewood (63d St. near Halsted St.). Its leaders turned to work with people (primarily children) of more stability in the new community of West Englewood in 1915, and soon two store-front chapels (Ashland Ave. near 72d St.) became inadequate. A financial campaign among the churches of the Eastern, Middle, Western, and Northern districts between 1916 and 1918, conducted personally by the founder of the work, W. W. Miller, resulted in the construction of a church at 73rd and Lafflin, off the main avenue, in 1918, and the subsequent organization of a congregation. Since Miller's initial pastorate of eight years and A. H. Leaman's of nine years, the congregation had six other pastors by 1953. Leland Harder became pastor in June 1952. Membership in 1953 was 70. In 2005 the membership was 35.
Harder, Leland. Seventy-Third and Lafflin. Chicago, 1952.
|Author(s)||Leland D Harder|
 Cite This Article
Harder, Leland D. "First Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 26 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Mennonite_Church_(Chicago,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=101805.
Harder, Leland D. (1953). First Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Mennonite_Church_(Chicago,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=101805.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.