The Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America was an official federation of the national bodies of most of the larger and some of the small evangelical Protestant churches of the United States, designed "to manifest the essential oneness of the Christian churches of America in Jesus Christ as their divine Lord and Saviour." The General Conference Mennonite Church joined the Federal Council in 1908, the year it was organized. With the war in 1914, growing militarism caused opposition to affiliation, which led to Mennonite withdrawal in 1917. However, at that time the majority report of the investigating committee of the General Conference actually favored continuing the relationship. Since that time the alienation from the Federal Council was more complete, particularly in view of extensive attacks upon it by American fundamentalists. During World War II the Mennonite Central Committee had functional relationships to the Federal Council committee on conscientious objectors, and sent representatives to several meetings sponsored by the Council's Commission on International Good Will and Justice. In 1950 the Federal Council was merged with several other interdenominational bodies to form the National Council of the Churches of Christ in America.
|Author(s)||Donovan E Smucker|
Cite This Article
Smucker, Donovan E. "Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 25 Apr 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Federal_Council_of_the_Churches_of_Christ_in_America&oldid=80757.
Smucker, Donovan E. (1956). Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 April 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Federal_Council_of_the_Churches_of_Christ_in_America&oldid=80757.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.