Fairview Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church (MC)), located in the village of Fairview, Oscoda County, northeastern Michigan, was a member of the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. The church was organized with 35 members on 2 February 1904. Eli A. Bontrager was the first pastor. In 1953 the church had a membership of 391, under the leadership of Bishop Harvey Handrich. Other ministers who have served the congregation included Menno Esch, N. Z. Yoder, L. A. Kauffman, Moses S. Steiner, Floyd Yoder and Virgil Hershberger; the deacon in 1953 was Otis J. Bontrager. Menno Esch served as bishop 1909-1952 when Harvey Handrich became bishop.
In June 2002 Fairview Mennonite Church withdrew from the Indiana-Michigan Conference and Mennonite Church USA and began an independent Mennonite congregation. The congregation had concerns about issues in the denomination, particularly over "apparent tolerance in the conference concerning homosexuality." In 2011 Fairview remained an independent congregation. The pastor in 2011 was Eldon L. Krider; the membership in 2009 was 259.
"Three Churches Leave Conference." Gospel Evangel (July-August 2002): 2.
Address: 1583 Abbe Road, Fairview, Michigan
Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference (Until 2002)
Mennonite Church (MC) (Until 2002)
|Date Published||January 2011|
Cite This Article
Esch, Menno and Sam Steiner. "Fairview Mennonite Church (Fairview, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 2011. Web. 26 Mar 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fairview_Mennonite_Church_(Fairview,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=117011.
Esch, Menno and Sam Steiner. (January 2011). Fairview Mennonite Church (Fairview, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 March 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fairview_Mennonite_Church_(Fairview,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=117011.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.