Fürstenau was founded in 1332. Until 1772 Fürstenau was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Fürstenau was located. Fürstenau was situated in the district (Kreis) of Elbing until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Fürstenau (now Kmiecin) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Dwór Gdański, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1776 Prussian census lists ten Mennonite families with the following surnames: Claasen, Dircksen, Jantzen, Penner, Regehr, Rempel, Stobbe, Westerwick, and Wiens. In 1820, the village had 524 residents, including 58 Mennonites.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Kmiecin." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 12 November 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=344&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Kmiecin." Web. 12 November 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmiecin.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 12 November 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=1722.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||November 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Fürstenau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2012. Web. 21 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=F%C3%BCrstenau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94784.
Thiessen, Richard D. (November 2012). Fürstenau (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=F%C3%BCrstenau_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94784.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.