Eugene Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, was located approximately 11 miles west of Eugene, Oregon, in the 1890s. It was founded by Amish families who came to the Eugene area from Hubbard, where they had settled about 1887. During the early years two Sunday schools were organized in this region, the one about 6 miles west of Eugene having at one time an attendance of approximately 50. Several years later the church was built and Peter Mishler was ordained bishop. Following his death, his brother J. D. Mishler was ordained bishop in 1895. Because of church difficulties and because land in other Oregon communities was preferred, the families moved away and by 1950 only one remained in the neighborhood. The church was sold and the money was used for the construction of the Hopewell Mennonite Church, near Hubbard, which was built in 1901-2.
Shetler, S. G. Church History of the Pacific Coast Mennonite Conference District. Scottdale, 1931?
Cite This Article
Gingerich, Melvin. "Eugene Mennonite Church (Eugene, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 26 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Eugene_Mennonite_Church_(Eugene,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=80588.
Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Eugene Mennonite Church (Eugene, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Eugene_Mennonite_Church_(Eugene,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=80588.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.