Emmanuel Bible College, Kitchener, Ontario, was operated by the Ontario Conference of the United Missionary Church (now Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada) for the purpose of training young people for service in the church. The school was founded in 1940 with Ward M. Shantz as the first principal. In 1953 Shantz became president and Lyness L. Wark was elected principal. As of 1956 there have been 140 graduates, many of whom were ministers and missionaries, serving in five countries. The enrollment for 1954 was 108, of whom 44 were registered in the day classes and 64 in the evening classes. The college offered courses in theology, missions, and Christian education, but did not require graduation from a high school for entrance.
From its small beginning in Stouffville (near Toronto), the College moved to its first campus on the present site of the Centre in the Square in downtown Kitchener, Ontario. In 1964 it moved to its present campus in eastern Kitchener. By 2008 about 500 students took courses each year.
Emmanuel Bible College is a denominational college that has become inter-denominational. Originally sponsored by the Missionary Church, Emmanuel has always opened its doors to students of all evangelical orientations. Emmanuel has signed covenants with the Congregational Christian Churches of Canada and the United Brethren Churches in Canada, officially recognizing a long-standing working relationship.
Address: 100 Fergus Ave., Kitchener, Ontario
Website: Emmanuel Bible College
|Author(s)||Everek R Storms|
Cite This Article
Storms, Everek R. "Emmanuel Bible College (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 30 Sep 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Emmanuel_Bible_College_(Kitchener,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=80463.
Storms, Everek R. (1956). Emmanuel Bible College (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 September 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Emmanuel_Bible_College_(Kitchener,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=80463.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.