Elspeet (Gelderland, Netherlands)
Elspeet, a village (pop. 1,500 in 1950; 4,417 in 2006) in the Veluwe district, Dutch province of Gelderland. Two miles south of this village on a fine wooded plot are found the buildings of the Doopsgezind Broederschapshuis Elspeet (Elspeet Mennonite Brotherhood House). Its first simple building was opened on 1 June 1925. In course of time more buildings were added; in 1928 a chapel (capacity 200) was dedicated. During World War II the buildings, all built of timber on concrete foundations, were severely damaged; they have been restored. Besides camping grounds for youth, there were 72 rooms (about 200 beds). The Broederschapshuis Elspeet, followed by other such houses elsewhere, was built to lodge the meetings of the Vereeniging voor Gemeentedagen and its several subdivisions, and also for the youth conferences. In 1936 the Mennonite World Conference met here. It is also used as a recreation center, led by a Mennonite minister as a pater familias, where Mennonites and non-Mennonites may spend their holidays in a Christian atmosphere for moderate price. It is opened each year from about May until September. The first president of the Board of Management was J. Koekebakker, followed by A. H. van Drooge and C. Nijdam . In 1953 the president was N. van der Zijpp. Minke Bennema-Feenstra was treasurer for nearly 25 years.
Brieven van de Ver. voor Gemeentedagen VIII, No. 6 (June 1925): 4-10; XI, No. 6 (June 1928) 2-5.
Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1951): 27-35.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Elspeet (Gelderland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 26 Apr 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elspeet_(Gelderland,_Netherlands)&oldid=80450.
van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1956). Elspeet (Gelderland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 April 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elspeet_(Gelderland,_Netherlands)&oldid=80450.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, pp. 191-192. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.