Elmwood is a village in Grey County, Ontario, on the county line between Bruce and Grey, about six miles (10 km) north of Hanover. It was a location in which Mennonites were to be found from before 1870, when ministers from Waterloo County were sent to Brant Township every eight weeks to conduct services which alternated in the homes of Mennonite families living there. Before 1875 these families were losing members to the United Brethren Church. In 1875, when the Mennonite Brethren in Christ (MBC) were organized in Ontario, Elmwood became one of their earliest places of worship. It was the village into which the retired farmers moved when they left the farms in that community. The MBC's first worshiped in private homes in the village and then in the United Brethren Church. As the United Brethren group lost out and the Mennonite Brethren in Christ grew in strength, the United Brethren church building was taken over by the MBC group, whose work continued well into the present century. Then as Mennonite young people were attracted away from their homes, the Mennonite Brethren in Christ membership decreased, until only a few members remained. In 1948 the church building was sold. This work was not far from the Mennonite settlements near Lake Huron—Brant Township, Hanover, and Port Elgin and Culross townships. From Elmwood many Mennonite Brethren in Christ ministers, missionaries, and pioneers went to Alberta in the early 20th century.
|Author(s)||Joseph C Fretz|
Cite This Article
Fretz, Joseph C. "Elmwood (Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 24 Mar 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elmwood_(Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=80444.
Fretz, Joseph C. (1956). Elmwood (Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 March 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elmwood_(Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=80444.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.