Elkhart, Indiana (population 35,000 in 1950; 52,700 in 2008), is a leading commercial and railroad center in northwest Elkhart County, 100 miles (160 km) east of Chicago, founded in 1832, seat of the Prairie Street Mennonite Church, the oldest city congregation of the Mennonite Church (MC), established in 1871 (two daughter churches have since been established in the city, in addition to two United Missionary Church congregations). Elkhart achieved importance as a strong center of life and activity for the Mennonite Church (MC), first through the establishment here of the Mennonite Publishing Company by John F. Funk in 1867, which was the publishing center for the Mennonite Church until 1908, then through the establishment of the headquarters office of the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities in 1892. From here the first foreign missionaries of the church were sent out in 1898 (to India), and here the first church school was established in 1894 as Elkhart Institute, which was moved to Goshen in 1903 to become Goshen College. Elkhart was also the seat of the Bethel Publishing Company and Bookstore, the publishing agency of the United Missionary Church.
|Author(s)||Harold S. Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S.. "Elkhart (Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 3 Dec 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elkhart_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=80420.
Bender, Harold S.. (1956). Elkhart (Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 3 December 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elkhart_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=80420.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.