Eighth Street Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located at 602 South Eighth Street, Goshen, Indiana, is a member of the Central District Conference and of the General Conference Mennonite Church (now part of Mennonite Church USA). Organized in 1913 with a congregation of 15 members (formerly of the Silver Street Church), which met in a remodeled dwelling on Fifth Street (thus the church was first known as Fifth Street Mennonite Church), the congregation numbered 298 in 1953 and mets in a substantial brick building on Eighth Street erected in 1920. There were renovations in the 1950s, and an education wing was added in 1956. Membership in 2007 was 242.
The group was largely urban, of diverse geographical background. The minister in 1954 was Robert W. Hartzler. The church carried on an active program with regular meetings of Sunday school, young people’s organization, six women's organizations, weekly morning and evening services, a choir, and other activities. The observance of footwashing was optional; an organ was used in worship; discipline was practiced to a limited extent.
Eighth Street Mennonite Church. "Heritage of Eighth St. Mennonite Church." Accessed 27 August 2007 <http://www.8thstmennonite.org/Heritage.htm>
Eighth Street Mennonite Church website
|Author(s)||Robert W Hartzler|
Cite This Article
Hartzler, Robert W. "Eighth Street Mennonite Church (Goshen, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 21 Apr 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Eighth_Street_Mennonite_Church_(Goshen,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=117497.
Hartzler, Robert W. (1956). Eighth Street Mennonite Church (Goshen, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 April 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Eighth_Street_Mennonite_Church_(Goshen,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=117497.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.