Heinrich Abram Ediger: publisher, editor, banker, and burgomaster of Berdyansk, South Russia; born 6 November 1858, at Gnadenfeld, Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Russia, the son of Abram A. Ediger (4 September 1833, Grossweide, Molotschna, South Russia - 1909, Sarona, Crimea, South Russia) and Sara Helene Hausknecht (1842, Insel Chortitza, Chortitza Mennonite Settlement, South Russia - 1898, Halbstadt, Molotschna). Heinrich's wife was Emilie Friesen. Heinrich died on 23 June 1943 in Karlsruhe, Germany.
Heinrich's father Abram Ediger taught at Rosenhof, Melitopol district, 1861-1867, then moved to Berdyansk to start a business. The young Heinrich received his training under David Görz. He graduated from the Gnadenfeld Zentralschule, taught for a number of years, and established a print shop and bookstore in Berdyansk, where he became a leading businessman and for a number of years the burgomaster. He was also co-editor of Der Botschafter and active in the Mennonite brotherhood of Russia. Ediger had three sons with a university training, Theodor, a historian, Harry, a lawyer, and Alexander, the elder of the Schönsee Mennonite Church. After the Russian Revolution Ediger came to Germany and lived at Karlsruhe until his death.
Ediger published an article, "Meine Schulzeit bei Lehrer Heinrich Franz" (Bote, Nos. 20-25, 1930), and a book, Erinnerungen aus meinem Leben (Karlsruhe, 1927).
GRANDMA (The Genealogical Registry and Database of Mennonite Ancestry) Database, 7.05 ed. Fresno, CA: " California Mennonite Historical Society, 2013: #208939.
|Author(s)||Benjamin H Unruh|
 Cite This Article
Unruh, Benjamin H. "Ediger, Heinrich Abram (1858-1943)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 26 Jun 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ediger,_Heinrich_Abram_(1858-1943)&oldid=115087.
Unruh, Benjamin H. (1956). Ediger, Heinrich Abram (1858-1943). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 June 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ediger,_Heinrich_Abram_(1858-1943)&oldid=115087.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.