Ebenezer Mennonite Church, currently a member of the Southeastern Mennonite Conference, was originally a member of the Virginia Mennonite Conference. The church was organized in 1904 under the leadership of Henry H. Good, the first pastor, with 20 charter members. The 1953 membership was 37, all rural people. They worshiped in a union church until 1931, when a brick church with a seating capacity of 150 was built; it was dedicated in 1932. Otis B. Snead was the minister in charge in 1954.
About 1983 Ebenezer Mennonite Church withdrew from the Virginia Mennonite Conference over doctrinal concerns, and then became a member of the Southeastern Mennonite Conference, a group that had formed in 1972 over concerns about doctrinal issues at Eastern Mennonite College and the Virginia Mennonite Mission Board. A minority of members who did not wish to leave the Virginia conference formed the Faith Mennonite Church.
In 2009 the minister was Kelvin Good; the membership was 77.
Mennonite Church Directory (2009): 99.
 Additional Information
Address: 1224 Wolf Trap Road, South Boston, Virginia
Southeastern Mennonite Conference
|Author(s)||Arthur S Brunk|
|Date Published||February 2011|
 Cite This Article
Brunk, Arthur S and Sam Steiner. "Ebenezer Mennonite Church (South Boston, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2011. Web. 27 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ebenezer_Mennonite_Church_(South_Boston,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=87459.
Brunk, Arthur S and Sam Steiner. (February 2011). Ebenezer Mennonite Church (South Boston, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ebenezer_Mennonite_Church_(South_Boston,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=87459.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.