From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
The Ebenezer Mennonite Church ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite]]), located two miles (three km) east of [[Bluffton (Ohio, USA)|Bluffton]], [[Ohio (State)|Ohio]], was a member of the [[Middle District Conference (General Conference Mennonite Church)|Middle District Conference]] (later [[Central District Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Central District Conference]]). This congregation formed one of the two centers of the original Swiss community between Bluffton and Pandora. A meetinghouse was built near the site of the present building in 1846, enlarged in 1883, and again in 1928. After Pandora in 1904, and Bluffton in 1918 had organized separate congregations, Ebenezer and St. Johns remained united as one congregation under the ministry of William Gotschall, the last of the ministers to serve the united Swiss community. In 1923 this union was dissolved, and Elmer Neuenschwander became the first minister of the separate congregation. The 1953 membership was 507, with Howard T. Landes as pastor.
 
The Ebenezer Mennonite Church ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite]]), located two miles (three km) east of [[Bluffton (Ohio, USA)|Bluffton]], [[Ohio (State)|Ohio]], was a member of the [[Middle District Conference (General Conference Mennonite Church)|Middle District Conference]] (later [[Central District Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Central District Conference]]). This congregation formed one of the two centers of the original Swiss community between Bluffton and Pandora. A meetinghouse was built near the site of the present building in 1846, enlarged in 1883, and again in 1928. After Pandora in 1904, and Bluffton in 1918 had organized separate congregations, Ebenezer and St. Johns remained united as one congregation under the ministry of William Gotschall, the last of the ministers to serve the united Swiss community. In 1923 this union was dissolved, and Elmer Neuenschwander became the first minister of the separate congregation. The 1953 membership was 507, with Howard T. Landes as pastor.
  
In February 1986 Ebenezer withdrew from the General Conference Mennonite Church and the Central District Conference. The church cited doctrinal and ethical differences, including sanctuary [refugees], abortion and peace. The congregation continued as an independent Mennonite church.  
+
In February 1986 Ebenezer withdrew from the General Conference Mennonite Church and the Central District Conference. The church cited doctrinal and ethical differences, including sanctuary [refugees], abortion and peace. The congregation continued as an independent Mennonite church.
 
+
 
+
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
Weidner, Mark. "Ebenezer Church Withdraws from Conferences." <em class="gameo_bibliography">The Mennonite, Central District Edition</em> (22 April 1986): A-8.  
+
Weidner, Mark. "Ebenezer Church Withdraws from Conferences." <em class="gameo_bibliography">The Mennonite, Central District Edition</em> (22 April 1986): A-8.
 
+
 
+
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
 
Ebenezer Mennonite Church [http://www.ebenezermennonite.org/ website]  
 
Ebenezer Mennonite Church [http://www.ebenezermennonite.org/ website]  

Revision as of 19:43, 20 August 2013

The Ebenezer Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located two miles (three km) east of Bluffton, Ohio, was a member of the Middle District Conference (later Central District Conference). This congregation formed one of the two centers of the original Swiss community between Bluffton and Pandora. A meetinghouse was built near the site of the present building in 1846, enlarged in 1883, and again in 1928. After Pandora in 1904, and Bluffton in 1918 had organized separate congregations, Ebenezer and St. Johns remained united as one congregation under the ministry of William Gotschall, the last of the ministers to serve the united Swiss community. In 1923 this union was dissolved, and Elmer Neuenschwander became the first minister of the separate congregation. The 1953 membership was 507, with Howard T. Landes as pastor.

In February 1986 Ebenezer withdrew from the General Conference Mennonite Church and the Central District Conference. The church cited doctrinal and ethical differences, including sanctuary [refugees], abortion and peace. The congregation continued as an independent Mennonite church.

Contents

Bibliography

Weidner, Mark. "Ebenezer Church Withdraws from Conferences." The Mennonite, Central District Edition (22 April 1986): A-8.

Additional Information

Ebenezer Mennonite Church website


Author(s) C. Henry Smith
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

Smith, C. Henry. "Ebenezer Mennonite Church (Bluffton, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 29 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ebenezer_Mennonite_Church_(Bluffton,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=87177.

APA style

Smith, C. Henry. (1956). Ebenezer Mennonite Church (Bluffton, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ebenezer_Mennonite_Church_(Bluffton,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=87177.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 136. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.