In 2010 it was estimated that about 5,000 Hispanic people were part of Brandon (pop. 43,000). The work began as an outreach of the Spanish ministry within Braeside Evangelical Mennonite Church in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Ebenezer’s first pastor was Antonio Pitta, who himself came from Mexico to work and was discipled.
In December 2004 the congregation was approved for affiliation by the EMC council, and in July 2005 it was received into EMC membership. In November 2008 Ebenezer was officially organized as an EMC church.
In 2008 Antonio Pitta moved to Calgary, Alberta to plant another church. Hernan and Landis Benitez came to serve as its pastoral couple.
In 2010, the service attendance was 70 to 80 and congregants came from Colombia, El Salvador, Paraguay, Mexico, Honduras, and Canada. Subsequently, it suffered a church split, with Hernàn Benitez continuing to serve as pastor of Ebenezer.
In 2012, Ebenezer Christian Church had an average Sunday School attendance of 20 and a worship service attendance of 90. The service was in Spanish.
In early 2013 Ebenezer Christian Church was meeting in a former Baptist building at 1037 Lorne Avenue in Brandon. It had purchased, and was renovating a property elsewhere on Lorne Avenue.
Smith, Terry and Gerald Reimer. "Iglesia Cristiana Ebenezer: Where Praise and Church Family are Vital!" The Messenger 44, no. 8 (November 2010): 14-16.
Interview with Ward Parkinson by Terry Smith (25 January 2013).
Address: 1037 Lorne Ave., Brandon, MB
|Date Published||January 2013|
Cite This Article
Smith, Terry. "Ebenezer Christian Church (Brandon, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 2013. Web. 20 Feb 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ebenezer_Christian_Church_(Brandon,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=80393.
Smith, Terry. (January 2013). Ebenezer Christian Church (Brandon, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 February 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ebenezer_Christian_Church_(Brandon,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=80393.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.