In the fall of 1924 Mennonites emigrating from Ukraine, mostly from the Chortitza area, began settling in the Dundurn district about 40 km south of Saskatoon. With the help of the Mennonite Board of Colonization they settled on already established large farms named after the early non-Mennonite settlers: farms with names like: Schwager, Meilicke, Gudurian, Litzow and Petersen. Initially they farmed the land cooperatively but gradually it was subdivided among the settlers. These immigrant Mennonites became known as Rußländer to distinguish them from the Kanadier Mennonites who settled nearby on the Canadian prairies before World War I. Though they had been assisted by Kanadier Mennonites, the Rußländer decided to form their own church called the Nordheimer Gemeinde (which literally translates as: Northern Home Community or Nordheim Mennonite Church Group). This was a multi-church congregation which met at Pleasant Point, Hanley, Elbow, Milden, Harris, Dundurn and also in some small preaching stations. In this way members of the Nordheimer Gemeinde could preserve their church practices and traditions utilized in the Mennonite church organizations in Russia. These new immigrants came with their own pastors. One pastor, Johann J. Klassen of Hanley, organized the scattered immigrants into the Nordheim Church which was the first Rußländer church in Saskatchewan.
At first the Dundurn settlers on Schweger Farm no.1 worshiped in the large residence on the farm with Abram H. Kroeger Sr. of Hanley conducting services. In 1925 ten more immigrant families bought and settled the nearby Meilicke farm. These these settlers initially worshiped in a home in the village of Dundurn, assisted occasionally by pastors Abram H. Kroeger and Isaac Epp of Pleasant Point.
Source: Mennonite Historical Society of Saskatchewan
Source: Victor Wiebe
Dundurn Memories. Dundurn, Saskatchewan: Dundurn and District History Committee, 1982. 341 pp.
Fehderau, Karin. "Dundurn Church Closes its Doors." Canadian Mennonite. Vol. 7, no. 16 (25 August 2003): 29.
Nordheimer Mennonite Church of Saskatchewan 1925-1975. Hanley, SK: Nordheimer Mennonite Church, 1975.
Dundurn Mennonite Church Pastors
|Johann J. Klassen (Elder)||1925-1940|
|Abram H. Kroeger||1924-1940|
|Abram A. Kroeger||1931-1941|
|Wilhelm J. Wiens||1934-1948|
|Gerhard J. Warkentin
|Nick P. Schroeder||1958-1986|
|Henry A. Kroeger||1972-1989|
Dundurn Mennonite Church Membership
|Date Published||November 2010|
Cite This Article
Wiebe, Victor. "Dundurn Mennonite Church (Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2010. Web. 29 Aug 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Dundurn_Mennonite_Church_(Dundurn,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=91596.
Wiebe, Victor. (November 2010). Dundurn Mennonite Church (Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 August 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Dundurn_Mennonite_Church_(Dundurn,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=91596.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.