Dubrovna (Vitsebsk Voblast, Belarus)
Dubrovna, a town in the Russian province of Mogilev (now part of Belarus), was the stopping place for the winter for the first Mennonites coming from Danzig in 1788 on their way to South Russia. Two hundred and twenty-eight families were cared for here by the Russian government during the winter of 1788-1789 through Baron von Staal. The delegate Jakob Höppner was with the group but there was no elder or minister to care for the spiritual needs. It was here that the first attempts were made to elect a spiritual leader with the help of the mother congregations in Danzig.
Early in the spring of 1789 Höppner and the delegates went on to Kremenchug on the Dnieper River in the Poltava region to make arrangements for their settlement. Here they met Potemkin, who informed them that the land promised them near Berislav in the province of Kherson was not available and that they should proceed to the area where the Chortitza River flows into the Dnieper. Four weeks after the arrival of the delegates the total Dubrovna group arrived in Kremenchug by wagon and by barges on the Dnieper, and from Kremenchug proceeded to Chortitza for settlement.
Epp, David H. Die chortitzer Mennoniten: Versuch einer Darstellung des Entwickelungsganges derselben. Rosenthal bei Chortitz: Selbstverlag des Verfassers, 1889.
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Dubrovna (Vitsebsk Voblast, Belarus)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 Apr 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Dubrovna_(Vitsebsk_Voblast,_Belarus)&oldid=63508.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1956). Dubrovna (Vitsebsk Voblast, Belarus). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 April 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Dubrovna_(Vitsebsk_Voblast,_Belarus)&oldid=63508.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 105. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.