Revision as of 03:03, 12 April 2014 by RichardThiessen (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Didsbury, Alberta, a town of some 14,000 (2007 pop.), is located in Mountain View municipality, 48 miles (80 km) north of Calgary. It was founded in 1894 by Jacob Y. Shantz and members of the Ontario Conference of the United Missionary Church. The Didsbury church, built in 1896, was the beginning of the Canadian Northwest Conference of the United Missionary Church, which was organized in 1907. The conference met annually at Didsbury, as did the annual camp meeting. Mountain View Bible College was founded here in 1926. The local United Missionary Church was the largest denomination in the town in the 1950s. The West Zion (MC) Mennonite Church at Carstairs and the Bergthal Mennonite Church (GCM) with a Didsbury address are nearby.


Weber, M. "The Part Played by Immigrants from Waterloo County to the Didsbury, Alberta, Settlement in 1894." Thirty-Eighth Annual Report of the Waterloo Historical Society. (Kitchener, 1950).


Map:Didsbury, Alberta

Author(s) Everek R. Storms
Date Published 1956

Cite This Article

MLA style

Storms, Everek R.. "Didsbury (Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 26 Nov 2015.,_Canada)&oldid=118037.

APA style

Storms, Everek R.. (1956). Didsbury (Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 November 2015, from,_Canada)&oldid=118037.

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 52. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.

©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.