Denlinger, Mary S. (1867-1958)
Mary S. Denlinger: Mennonite Church (MC) mission worker and leader in women's activities; was born 3 December 1867, in Black Horse, Paradise Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, the third child of John B. and Elizabeth (Shaub) Denlinger. In 1890 she became a member of the Paradise congregation through the preaching of John S. Coffman. En route to the Elkhart Sunday School Conference in 1894 Abram Metzler recruited her for the new Chicago Home Mission opened by M. S. Steiner, where she served for five years until 1899. She served with Lina Zook (Ressler) and Melinda Ebersole doing visitation, helping with cottage prayer meetings, teaching Sunday school, and working in the medical dispensary. Then she and Amanda Musselman opened the Norris Square Mission in Philadelphia, where she served for the next quarter century from 1899 to 1924. After that she continued her church interest at East Chestnut Street and Paradise congregations in both Sunday-school and sewing circle work. She died in Soudersburg, Pennsylvania on 22 January 1958.
Landis, Ira D. in Missionary Messenger (April 1958): 4.
Rich, Elaine Sommers. Mennonite Women: A Story of God's Faithfulness, 1683-1983. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 1983.
Obituary. Gospel Herald 51 (18 February 1958): 166; reproduced in MennObits. 1999. Mennonite Church USA Historical. Committee. Retrieved 27 November 2005 <http://www.mcusa-archives.org/MennObits/58/feb1958.html>
|Author(s)||Ira D. Landis|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. and Lois Barrett. "Denlinger, Mary S. (1867-1958)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1988. Web. 23 May 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Denlinger,_Mary_S._(1867-1958)&oldid=55958.
Landis, Ira D. and Lois Barrett. (1988). Denlinger, Mary S. (1867-1958). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Denlinger,_Mary_S._(1867-1958)&oldid=55958.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1075; vol. 5, p. 226. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.