In November 1945 the Board of Foreign Missions appointed the Jacob D. Unruhs, who had worked for several years among homeless children in Brazil, to start a home for unfortunate children near Curitiba. The mission accepted Brazilian homeless children below four years of age to feed, house, and clothe, give them an elementary education, teach them habits of cleanliness and industry, and, above all, impart to them the way of eternal life through Bible instruction.
The mission maintained a school on the compound, operated a 50-acre farm to furnish employment for the children, and had a staff (in 1953) of 10 workers to look after the medical, physical, and spiritual needs of the children. The supervision of the orphanage was at that time in the hands of the Erven A. Thiesens and Linda Banman. The mission had three buildings on the main compound, and a residence, barn, and sheds on the farmyard. The 1953 capacity was around 60 children. This number was being kept somewhat lower until the program became more stabilized.
A feature of this project resided in the opportunity it furnished the Mennonite churches of Brazil to share in its support as well as to enable those of their young people who felt a call to missions to serve at this place. Opportunities for evangelization were opening in neighboring villages and cities.
|Author(s)||A. E Janzen|
 Cite This Article
Janzen, A. E. "Curitiba Mennonite Brethren Mission (Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 14 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Curitiba_Mennonite_Brethren_Mission_(Curitiba,_Paran%C3%A1,_Brazil)&oldid=80025.
Janzen, A. E. (1953). Curitiba Mennonite Brethren Mission (Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 14 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Curitiba_Mennonite_Brethren_Mission_(Curitiba,_Paran%C3%A1,_Brazil)&oldid=80025.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.