Revision as of 19:09, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search
Cumberland County, Pennsylvania U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, located southwest of Harrisburg, was carved out of Lancaster County on 27 January 1750. In 1755 the Proprietary Government suggested that the Irish settle here, leaving Lancaster for the Mennonites. Consequently the Mennonites did not move in before the late 1780s and 1790s, and their first house of worship was Slate Hill, built in 1820. In 1950 there were three Mennonite churches in the county: Slate Hill, Churchtown, and Diller. William M. Strong was the bishop of these churches.

Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1953

Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Cumberland County (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 26 Oct 2016.,_USA)&oldid=80019.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1953). Cumberland County (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 October 2016, from,_USA)&oldid=80019.

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 746. All rights reserved.

©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.