From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:42, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Crowfoot, Alberta settlement began with the purchase of approximately 4,000 acres of land in the fall of 1925 by the Canadian Mennonite Board of Colonization. Families soon began settling there and a group met to organize a Mennonite Brethren Church in December. Some of the settlers, however, were members of the Allianz (Evangelical Mennonite Brethren) and the Conference of Mennonites in Canada, although they frequently worshiped together.

In 1931 there were 17 families and 38 members in the church. This number remained quite static for a number of years, but by 1937 had declined to 20 members. Many families moved away because of crop failures. In 1938-39 most of the remaining families left because of a total crop failure and the church disbanded. The official records of the church are no longer extant.

The leaders of the congregation were: David Kroeker (1925-1936); Abram Martens (1937-1938).

Bibliography

Records of the Alberta Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches at Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies, Winnipeg.


Author(s) Abe J Dueck
Date Published November 2001


Cite This Article

MLA style

Dueck, Abe J. "Crowfoot Mennonite Brethren Church (Crowfoot, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2001. Web. 26 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Crowfoot_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Crowfoot,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=86974.

APA style

Dueck, Abe J. (November 2001). Crowfoot Mennonite Brethren Church (Crowfoot, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Crowfoot_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Crowfoot,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=86974.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.