From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Cordell (now New Cordell), [[Washita County (Oklahoma, USA)|Washita County]], [[Oklahoma (USA)|Oklahoma]], was a Mennonite trading center with a population of 3,500 in 1950 (2,867 in 2000), located in the west-central part of the state. In the early 1950s Mennonites ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite]] and [[Mennonite Brethren Church|Mennonite Brethren]]) oc­cupied nearly one third of the county adjoining the city on the northeast. Wheat farming was predomi­nant. There were 65 Mennonites living in Cordell in 1950, and 2,000 within shopping distance of the city (1950). In the area there were four churches from eight to 18 miles from the city with 1,250 members, [[Herold Mennonite Church (Bessie, Oklahoma, USA)|Herold]] and [[Bergthal Mennonite Church (Corn, Oklahoma, USA)|Bergtal]] of the General Conference Mennonites, and [[Bible Mennonite Brethren Church (Cordell, Oklahoma, USA)|Bessie]] and [[Corn Mennonite Brethren Church (Corn, Oklahoma, USA)|Corn]] of the Mennonite Brethren.
 
Cordell (now New Cordell), [[Washita County (Oklahoma, USA)|Washita County]], [[Oklahoma (USA)|Oklahoma]], was a Mennonite trading center with a population of 3,500 in 1950 (2,867 in 2000), located in the west-central part of the state. In the early 1950s Mennonites ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite]] and [[Mennonite Brethren Church|Mennonite Brethren]]) oc­cupied nearly one third of the county adjoining the city on the northeast. Wheat farming was predomi­nant. There were 65 Mennonites living in Cordell in 1950, and 2,000 within shopping distance of the city (1950). In the area there were four churches from eight to 18 miles from the city with 1,250 members, [[Herold Mennonite Church (Bessie, Oklahoma, USA)|Herold]] and [[Bergthal Mennonite Church (Corn, Oklahoma, USA)|Bergtal]] of the General Conference Mennonites, and [[Bible Mennonite Brethren Church (Cordell, Oklahoma, USA)|Bessie]] and [[Corn Mennonite Brethren Church (Corn, Oklahoma, USA)|Corn]] of the Mennonite Brethren.
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 710|date=1953|a1_last=Dahlenberg|a1_first=Paul|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 710|date=1953|a1_last=Dahlenberg|a1_first=Paul|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Latest revision as of 19:09, 20 August 2013

Cordell (now New Cordell), Washita County, Oklahoma, was a Mennonite trading center with a population of 3,500 in 1950 (2,867 in 2000), located in the west-central part of the state. In the early 1950s Mennonites (General Conference Mennonite and Mennonite Brethren) oc­cupied nearly one third of the county adjoining the city on the northeast. Wheat farming was predomi­nant. There were 65 Mennonites living in Cordell in 1950, and 2,000 within shopping distance of the city (1950). In the area there were four churches from eight to 18 miles from the city with 1,250 members, Herold and Bergtal of the General Conference Mennonites, and Bessie and Corn of the Mennonite Brethren.


Author(s) Paul Dahlenberg
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Dahlenberg, Paul. "Cordell (Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 3 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cordell_(Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=79883.

APA style

Dahlenberg, Paul. (1953). Cordell (Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 3 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cordell_(Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=79883.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 710. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.