From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Congerville Mennonite Church (Fellowship of Evangelical Churches), located in Woodford County, Illinois, was the first Amish church to be established in a village. A few Mennonite families moved into the community and opened a Sunday school in 1891. In January 1896 Peter Schantz organized the congregation at this place. In 1917 the remodeled church earlier purchased from the Christian Church and moved into Congerville was rededicated. When the Central Illinois Conference of Mennonites was formed in 1908 Congerville was a charter member. The congregation had 100 members in 1951. In 1999 the congregation had 334 members; the pastor was Arthur John Simpson, Jr.

In 2000 the congregation withdrew from the General Conference Mennonite Church and joined the Evangelical Mennonite Church (now Fellowship of Evangelical Churches).

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 307 East Kauffman, Congerville, Illinois

Phone: 309-448-2319

Denominational Affiliation: Fellowship of Evangelical Churches


Author(s) Grace Miller
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Miller, Grace. "Congerville Mennonite Church (Congerville, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 21 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Congerville_Mennonite_Church_(Congerville,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=79857.

APA style

Miller, Grace. (1953). Congerville Mennonite Church (Congerville, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Congerville_Mennonite_Church_(Congerville,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=79857.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, pp. 689-690. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.