Marietta Mennonite Church was founded in 1928 by the district mission board of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. John S. Hiestand (1909-1992) who was the founding minister of the Marietta Mission, as it was then called, had developed a burden to begin a radio broadcast but the Lancaster Conference viewed radio as a worldly intrusion into the home and prohibited its use. Hiestand saw it as an opportunity for evangelism. On Easter Sunday 1951, Hiestand and others inaugurated the Crusade for Christ Hour on the Red Lion station in York County; as a result the Bishop Board took action to relieve him of his ministry. On Sunday morning, 9 September 1951 a number of bishops arrived at the Marietta Mennonite Mission and took charge of the service. At that meeting, John S. Hiestand was permitted to announce that the following Sunday he would meet for services at the local Community Center for anyone interested in attending. On 16 September 1951 all but one family at the former mission joined Hiestand in forming a new congregation meeting at the Marietta Community House.
By the 1960s the congregation had become an independent Bible church, and in 1970 adopted the name, Congregational Bible Church. In 2007 the name became Community Bible Church.
In 1953 the membership was about 150.
Community Bible Church. "Church history." http://www.cbcpa.org/#/about-cbc/church-history 21 March 2014
 Additional Information
Address: 331 Anderson Ferry Road, Marietta, Pennsylvania
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
|Date Published||March 2014|
 Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S and Sam Steiner. "Community Bible Church (Marietta, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2014. Web. 6 May 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Community_Bible_Church_(Marietta,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116476.
Bender, Harold S and Sam Steiner. (March 2014). Community Bible Church (Marietta, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 6 May 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Community_Bible_Church_(Marietta,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116476.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.