Columbia Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, founded in 1907, was the fruition of the vision of Charles Byer. Under the Eastern Board of Missions and Charities of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, C. Z. Martin became superintendent in 1920 and pastor in 1923. The church building in use in the early 1950s was erected in 1922 at a cost of $24,000. Summer Bible school, Sunday school, sewing schools, children's meetings, regular services, and quarterly Bible meetings featured the work here. The membership in 1954 was 71, average Sunday-school attendance 160, average summer Bible school attendance, 68 African American and 360 white; C. Z. Martin was the pastor, and B. B. Zimmerman the deacon. In 2007 the membership was 35; Gregory L. Hershberger was the pastor.
The congregation closed by 2010. It was superseded at the same location by a new Lancaster Mennonite Conference sponsored church plant known as Vision Columbia.
Address: 291 South 4th Street, Columbia, Pennsylvania
|Author(s)||Ira D. Landis|
|Date Published||December 2011|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. and Sam Steiner. "Columbia Mennonite Church (Columbia, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2011. Web. 28 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Columbia_Mennonite_Church_(Columbia,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=79800.
Landis, Ira D. and Sam Steiner. (December 2011). Columbia Mennonite Church (Columbia, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Columbia_Mennonite_Church_(Columbia,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=79800.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.