Uruguay, 2006. World factbook map
Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay
(2004 pop. 21,000), capital of the departamento
bearing the same name, is approximately 110 miles (180 km) west of Montevideo
, on the bank of the Rio de la Plata, and almost within sight of Buenos Aires
. Three hundred fifty of the first Mennonite immigrants were quartered in an army barracks belonging to the Uruguay Ministry of Defense. The quarters were located in Colonia proper and the immigrants gradually found employment in the farm area surrounding the city. Colonia was cleared of Mennonites as the El Ombu project
began taking form, until by August 1950 there were but 10 families remaining in the Colonia barracks.
Six families, numbering 30 people, made Colonia their permanent home. They were employed in factories and cared for gardens part time.
|| William T Snyder
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Snyder, William T. "Colonia del Sacramento (Colonia, Uruguay)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 28 Jun 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Colonia_del_Sacramento_(Colonia,_Uruguay)&oldid=94216.
Snyder, William T. (1953). Colonia del Sacramento (Colonia, Uruguay). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 June 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Colonia_del_Sacramento_(Colonia,_Uruguay)&oldid=94216.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 1, p. 644. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.