From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:08, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Colebrookdale was an area in eastern Berks County, Pennsylvania. When the first Mennonites settled in what is now Berks County, prior to 1725, this area of approximately 150 square miles was known as Manatawny or the Manatant District. Later the area was known as Colebrookdale, a name which was finally restricted to the area in which Boyertown is located. The term is used for this region to this day. More than 200 years ago the whole area of the extreme western corner of Bucks County became officially known as Hereford, from which the Hereford Mennonite churches took their name. The Mennonites who worshiped at Boyertown were spoken of as worshiping at Colebrookdale, and the Colebrookdale Mennonites until the mid-1950s were part of the Hereford Mennonite Church.

Bibliography

"History of Colebrookdale Township." Web. 5 December 2011. http://colebrookdale.org/history/


Author(s) Elmer E. S Johnson
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Johnson, Elmer E. S. "Colebrookdale (Berks County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 11 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Colebrookdale_(Berks_County,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=79783.

APA style

Johnson, Elmer E. S. (1953). Colebrookdale (Berks County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 11 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Colebrookdale_(Berks_County,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=79783.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 635. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.