From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:08, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Coesfeld, a village located west of Münster, Germany, was during the time of the Reformation the scene of Anabaptist activities. In 1532, when the Reformation movement reached the city, Bishop Franz of Waldeck warned against the movement and banished Johann Hunse, the preacher leading the movement. The following year Jan von Leiden worked here. When Heinrich von Tongern (Slachtscaep) was on his way to Münster on the invitation of Rothmann, he stopped in Coesfeld and preached to the people on the open street. A considerable number of the Coesfeld citizens went to Münster, where the "New Jerusalem" was to be established. It is probable that the Anabaptist movement in Coesfeld did not die out with the collapse of the "New Jerusalem," but its history has not yet been investigated.

Bibliography

Brune, Friedrich. Der Kampf Um Eine Evangelische Kirche Im Münsterland, 1520-1802. Witten-Ruhr: Luther-Verlag, 1953.

Keller, Ludwig. Geschichte der Wiedertäufer und ihres Reiches zu Münster. Münster : Coppenrath'schen buchhandlung, 1880: 143, 167. Available in full electronic text athttp://www.archive.org/details/geschichtederwi01kellgoog.

Rembert, Karl. Die "Wiedertäufer" im Herzogtum Jülich. Berlin: R. Gaertners Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1899: 307 f.

Maps

Map:Coesfeld (Nordrhein-Westfalen)


Author(s) Cornelius Krahn
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Krahn, Cornelius. "Coesfeld (Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 25 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Coesfeld_(Nordrhein-Westfalen,_Germany)&oldid=79776.

APA style

Krahn, Cornelius. (1953). Coesfeld (Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Coesfeld_(Nordrhein-Westfalen,_Germany)&oldid=79776.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 633. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.