Clarence, New York, is a town (1950s pop. 660; 2000 pop. 26,123) located in Erie County, 12 miles (20 km) east of Buffalo. In the 1950s approximately 20 Mennonite families lived in the vicinity representing the Mennonite Church and the Conservative Mennonite Conference. Mennonites originally located in this community in the early part of the 19th century, but church life disintegrated after the death of Bishop John Lapp in 1878 and after Preacher Jacob Krehbiel, Jr., left the Mennonite Church in 1880 taking a considerable number of members with him into the General Conference Mennonite Church. Another settlement was made between 1920 and 1930. The Clarence Center Mennonite Church is the result of this later settlement.
Cite This Article
Diener, Edward. "Clarence (New York, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 31 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Clarence_(New_York,_USA)&oldid=79707.
Diener, Edward. (1953). Clarence (New York, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 31 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Clarence_(New_York,_USA)&oldid=79707.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.