From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:08, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

The Greystone Park (New Jersey) Civilian Public Service (CPS) Unit No. 77, under Mennonite Central Committee direction, established 19 January 1943 and closed August 1946, was attached to the New Jersey State Mental Hospital at Greystone Park, New Jersey, 40 miles (65 km) west of New York City. With 5,000 patients it was one of the largest mental hospitals in the country. Leaders of the unit were Lawrence Burkholder, Melvin Funk, Wilton Hartzler, and Harold W. Griest. In July 1945 one hundred CPS men were working here.

Bibliography

Gingerich, Melvin. Service for peace: a history of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, Pa.: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1956


Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Civilian Public Service Unit (Greystone Park, New Jersey, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 30 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Unit_(Greystone_Park,_New_Jersey,_USA)&oldid=79646.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1956). Civilian Public Service Unit (Greystone Park, New Jersey, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Unit_(Greystone_Park,_New_Jersey,_USA)&oldid=79646.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 579. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.