The Cleveland (Ohio
) State Hospital. Civilian Public Service
Unit No. 69 was opened here under the administration of the Friends in December 1942, but was discontinued a year later. The Mennonites reopened the unit in April 1945, and remained in charge until it was terminated in October 1946. During the time that the unit had its full quota of men, they were given complete charge of the male infirmary, housing approximately 365 infirm and untidy mental patients. During the period when the Mennonites had charge of the unit, a total of 45 men were assigned to it. Women's summer service units under the direction of the Mennonite Central Committee
served at the hospital in 1945 and 1946.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for peace: a history of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, Pa.: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949.
|| Melvin Gingerich
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Unit (Cleveland, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 25 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Unit_(Cleveland,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=94160.
Gingerich, Melvin. (1953). Civilian Public Service Unit (Cleveland, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Unit_(Cleveland,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=94160.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 1, p. 627. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.