From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:41, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Boonsboro, Maryland, was the location of Unit 3 of Mennonite Civilian Public Service Camp No. 24, known as the Hagerstown camp. The unit was located on a farm purchased by the Old Order Amish Mennonites in the fall of 1941, and was operated under the Soil Conservation Service (U.S. Department of Agriculture) until 1946. A certain amount of money per man was given the unit by the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) but the camp was then operated financially by the Amish entirely independent of MCC control. All but a very few of the campers were Amish. Their camp paper, The Sun-Beam, had the largest circulation of all Mennonite camp papers.

See Civilian Public Service


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Unit (Boonsboro, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 29 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Unit_(Boonsboro,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=86825.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1953). Civilian Public Service Unit (Boonsboro, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Unit_(Boonsboro,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=86825.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 389. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.