From GAMEO
Revision as of 13:58, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search
General view of CPS #8, Marietta, Ohio, ca. 1942. Photo courtesy of Mennonite Church USA Archives-North Newton 2003-0167
Marietta (Ohio) Civilian Public Service (CPS) Camp No. 8 was opened in June 1941 and was closed in April 1943. It was operated as a cooperative camp by the Brethren and Mennonites until May 1942, when the latter became the sole operating agency. The camp was located seven miles southeast of Marietta on the crest of a hill overlooking the Ohio River. It was the first Forest Service camp operated by the Mennonite Central Committee, the assignment consisting primarily of work in the forest nursery.

Bibliography

Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a history of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, PA: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949: 126.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Marietta, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Marietta,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=91463.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Civilian Public Service Camp (Marietta, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Marietta,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=91463.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 483. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.