From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Bowie Fish and Wild Life Camp No. 34, located 5 1/2 miles (9 km) east of Laurel, Maryland, was a Civilian Public Service camp established by an order of Selective Service in May 1942 under the National Park Service. It was at first jointly administered by the Brethren, Friends, and Mennonites, but was taken over by the Brethren in January 1945, and then later by the government. In April 1943 there were 19 Mennonites among the 60 campers. Drafted men working at the Akron, Pennsylvania, Mennonite Central Committee headquarters were listed on 34-D.S. (Detached Service).

See Civilian Public Service


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Laurel, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 26 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Laurel,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=86831.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1953). Civilian Public Service Camp (Laurel, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Laurel,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=86831.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 398. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.