Hill City Civilian Public Service
Camp No. 57 was located 16 miles northwest of Hill City, South Dakota
. Under the Bureau of Reclamation, the camp had as its chief project the construction of Deerfield Dam for the purpose of furnishing a plentiful water supply for Rapid City and for furnishing a supplemental water supply for 12,000 acres of irrigated land in the valley downstream from Rapid City. Camp No. 57, operated by the Mennonite Central Committee
, was approved 23 September 1942, and was closed 28 February 1946. It had a capacity of 200 men. During 41 months the conscientious objectors
assigned to the camp spent 50,726 man-hours on the dam and when the camp was closed the project was 97 per cent complete. Deerfield Dam is in one sense a "Monument to Peace." In 1946 the men of the camp published a 60-page book presenting in pictures and text the history of CPS No. 57, under the title The Voice of Peace.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a History of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, Pa.: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949: 162-168.
|| Melvin Gingerich
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Hill City, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 10 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Hill_City,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=95244.
Gingerich, Melvin. (1956). Civilian Public Service Camp (Hill City, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Hill_City,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=95244.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 2, p. 741. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.