Civilian Public Service Camp (Clear Spring, Maryland, USA)

From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:08, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (talk | contribs) (CSV import - 20130820)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Clear Spring Camp, Unit 4 of Civilian Public Service Camp No. 24, often known as the Hagerstown Camp, was located about five miles (eight km) north of Clear Spring on a farm owned by the Mennonite Publishing House, Scottdale, Pennsylvania. Although there were five units in the camp, each was operated independently of the others. Unit 4 was under the direction of the Mennonite Church (MC) and the Soil Conservation Service. It was opened in the spring of 1942. Two schools were held here for the campers, a farm and community school early in 1944 and a Christian workers' school beginning in November 1944.

Bibliography

Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a History of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, Pa.: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Clear Spring, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 23 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Clear_Spring,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=79624.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1953). Civilian Public Service Camp (Clear Spring, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Clear_Spring,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=79624.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 620. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.