From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
 
Line 6: Line 6:
  
 
A new church building was dedicated on 22 January 1961, and an addition was completed in 1978. A school was begun in 1979 in the church's Sunday school room. In 1999 a separate school building was completed. In 2009 the membership 104.
 
A new church building was dedicated on 22 January 1961, and an addition was completed in 1978. A school was begun in 1979 in the church's Sunday school room. In 1999 a separate school building was completed. In 2009 the membership 104.
 
 
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
<em>Histories of the Congregations</em>. 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kan.: Gospel Publishers; Church of God in Christ, Mennonite, 1999: 260-262.
 
<em>Histories of the Congregations</em>. 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kan.: Gospel Publishers; Church of God in Christ, Mennonite, 1999: 260-262.
 
 
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
 
<strong>Address</strong>: 16002 SR 23, Cimarron, Kansas
 
<strong>Address</strong>: 16002 SR 23, Cimarron, Kansas
Line 18: Line 14:
  
 
<strong>Denominational Affiliation</strong>: [http://churchofgodinchristmennonite.net/ Church of God in Christ, Mennonite]
 
<strong>Denominational Affiliation</strong>: [http://churchofgodinchristmennonite.net/ Church of God in Christ, Mennonite]
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 603|date=April 2010|a1_last=Unruh|a1_first=Abe|a2_last=Steiner|a2_first=Sam }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 603|date=April 2010|a1_last=Unruh|a1_first=Abe|a2_last=Steiner|a2_first=Sam }}

Latest revision as of 19:41, 20 August 2013

The Cimarron Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church is located 1 1/4 miles (two km) south of Cimarron, Gray County, Kansas. It was organized in 1914. The first meetings were held in homes conducted by Peter A. Friesen, and later in a schoolhouse, with Henry A. Koehn as pastor. The schoolhouse was purchased in 1923 north and west of Cimarron. Sunday school was first organized in January 1929.

Later Reuben J. Koehn and Ben T. Koehn were ordained to the ministry and Jake Wadel and Henry Redger as deacons. The Depression years were very difficult, and many members moved away because of drought. Membership dropped as low as 13. The old school building was in poor condition, and sometimes dust storms forced the congregation to meet in homes. The building was moved to the present location and remodeled in 1944; it was dedicated 29 October 1944.

Sam L. Fricke moved to the community in 1943 and served as pastor until his death in 1947, after which H. J. Mininger served for a while. It had a Sunday-school enrollment of 68 and a membership of 72 in 1953. The congregation was active in supporting missions, Mennonite Central Committee, and relief. It had an active sewing circle.

A new church building was dedicated on 22 January 1961, and an addition was completed in 1978. A school was begun in 1979 in the church's Sunday school room. In 1999 a separate school building was completed. In 2009 the membership 104.

[edit] Bibliography

Histories of the Congregations. 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kan.: Gospel Publishers; Church of God in Christ, Mennonite, 1999: 260-262.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 16002 SR 23, Cimarron, Kansas

Phone: 620-855-3433

Denominational Affiliation: Church of God in Christ, Mennonite


Author(s) Abe Unruh
Sam Steiner
Date Published April 2010


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Unruh, Abe and Sam Steiner. "Cimarron Church of God in Christ Mennonite (Cimarron, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2010. Web. 23 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cimarron_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_(Cimarron,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=86811.

APA style

Unruh, Abe and Sam Steiner. (April 2010). Cimarron Church of God in Christ Mennonite (Cimarron, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cimarron_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_(Cimarron,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=86811.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 603. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.