From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Church World Service, with its executive office in New York, in the 1950s was an interdenominational organization concerned particularly with the placing of refugees and displaced persons and with overseas relief. In 1952 the organization assumed control of Christian Rural Overseas Program (CROP), which it had been supporting from its beginning several years earlier. The Mennonite Central Committee cooperated with Church World Service in China relief, in the Philippines where two workers were seconded to that organization, in Okinawa, and in placing over 600 non-Mennonite European refugees in the United States under Mennonite sponsors.

In 2010 Mennonite Central Committee remained an affiliated (not a member) organization of Church World Service.

[edit] Additional Information

Church World Service website


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Church World Service." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 2 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Church_World_Service&oldid=91448.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1953). Church World Service. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Church_World_Service&oldid=91448.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 602. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.