In 1923 the publication of the two German-language weeklies of the Mennonite Publishing House in Scottdale, Pennsylvania, Mennonitische Rundschau and Christlicher Jugendfreund, was transferred to Winnipeg, Manitoba by Hermann Neufeld, who at that time established the Rundschau Publishing House. In 1940 this house was reorganized into the present Christian Press, Ltd., a firm which was owned jointly by the Mennonite Brethren Conference of Canada (1/8th of the stock) and private shareholders (7/8), who were all Mennonites. The main objective was to publish Christian periodicals for German-reading Mennonites the world over. Mennonite church literature and other Christian literature in eight different languages was being published.
In the 1950s the company owned the house and printing shop at 159 Kelvin St. (Kelvin Street's name was later changed to Henderson Highway), Winnipeg. C. A. DeFehr was the president of the company. Henry F. Klassen was the managing director and editor of its two major publications, one of which was the Mennonitische Rundschau (1877-2007), widely known as one of the oldest Mennonite publications in North America.
In 1964 Christian Press was acquired by the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches, and was given oversight by a management board. The Press was profitable, and returned surpluses to the parent organization. In 2010 the Christian Press was located at 1320 Taylor Avenue, Winnipeg.
|Author(s)||Henry F Klassen|
Cite This Article
Klassen, Henry F. "Christian Press, Ltd. (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 26 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Christian_Press,_Ltd._(Winnipeg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=86761.
Klassen, Henry F. (1955). Christian Press, Ltd. (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Christian_Press,_Ltd._(Winnipeg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=86761.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.