The Christian Exponent, a 16-page biweekly Mennonite journal published 4 January 1924 to 25 September 1928, was the organ of a movement in the Mennonite Church (MC) which attempted to establish a counterweight against the more conservative main body of the church which had caused the temporary closing of Goshen College 1923-24. It was promoted largely by sympathizers with the "old" Goshen, and though conducted on a high level, ultimately the group behind it disintegrated, some joining the General Conference Mennonite Church, the others adapting themselves to the new regime at Goshen and to the general constructive conservative trend in the old church. Editors were Vernon Smucker, 1924-26, and Lester Hostetler, 1927-28. In its fourth and last year the journal became openly "all-Mennonite," when it became clear that its cause in the old church was lost.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Christian Exponent (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 21 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Christian_Exponent_(Periodical)&oldid=86740.
Bender, Harold S. (1955). Christian Exponent (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Christian_Exponent_(Periodical)&oldid=86740.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.