The Lockport and West Clinton churches were remodeled in 1930 and 1935 respectively to provide classrooms for the younger Sunday-school classes. The congregation built several additions to the Central Church which had been built in 1869 and dedicated in 1870. The old building was replaced by a large brick structure in 1936. By the mid-1950s the congregation had become one of the most aggressive in mission and Sunday-school work of any congregation in the conference. Members of the congregation preferred to be known as Amish Mennonites rather than Mennonites. The groups which met at Central, Lockport, and West Clinton were later organized as individual congregations. Several other congregations were also organized—Bancroft near Toledo, Tedrow near Wauseon, and Pine Grove south of Stryker. The membership of Central in 1952 was 765; in 2004 it 432.
The Central Church suffered two schisms: (1) the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Holdeman) group in 1863, whose church is located in Pettisville, and (2) the Evangelical Mennonite (Egly-Defenseless) group in 1870, whose churches are in Archbold (1870) and Wauseon (1945).
See also Fulton County
Grieser, Orland R. Out of the wilderness: history of the Central Mennonite Church, 1835-1960. Grand Rapids : Dean-Hicks, 1960.
 Additional Information
Address: 21703 SR 2, Archbold Ohio 43502
Website: Central Mennonite Church
|Author(s)||John S Umble|
 Cite This Article
Umble, John S. "Central Mennonite Church (Archbold, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 3 May 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Central_Mennonite_Church_(Archbold,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=91371.
Umble, John S. (1953). Central Mennonite Church (Archbold, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 3 May 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Central_Mennonite_Church_(Archbold,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=91371.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.