The members in the 1950s were largely engaged in dairying, poultry-raising, and berry culture. Construction on the second sanctuary began in 1951 when the congregation outgrew the original building. The land was donated by John Friesen. It was slowly built so that no debt would be incurred. Services were held in the basement until the work was completed in 1953. Eventually the name was changed to Cedar Valley Mennonite Church. In 1965 Ed Goerzen was retained as the first salaried pastor. He oversaw the change from the German to the English language. This change and a vision for outreach opened the doors to the community. As a result the church soon took on a community feel. Not long after they saw the need to build a new church and a 700-seat sanctuary on the same property was constructed. It was dedicated in May 1979.
Returned missionaries George and Martha Janzen, Jake and Elfrieda Thielmann, and Gary and Ellie Loewen have served the congregation. Youth workers, associate ministers, music ministers, Christian Education directors and others have served. Cedar Valley began an Indo-Canadian ministry in 1977 and helped found the Valley Christian School in the late 1980s. The congregation has always been concerned about people in the community, including prison inmates and especially children.
Canadian Mennonite (24 November 1961): 24.
Cedar Valley Mennonite Church 50th Jubilee 1990. Mission, BC: Cedar Valley Mennonite Church, 1990.
Churches in Profile. Conference of Mennonites in British Columbia, 1978: 27-31.
Information bezueglich der Vereinigten Mennoniten Gemeinden in British Columbien: Gelegentlich der Konferenz der Mennoniten in Kanada, 1959. Abbotsford, BC: The Conference, 1959: 15.
Rempel, Dick. "United Mennonite Church, Mission City, British Columbia." Research paper, CMBC, 1956, 13 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Archival RecordsRecords kept at Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Address: 32840 Janzen Ave., Mission, BC V2V 2T5; located 1 1/2 miles north of downtown Mission, off Cedar St.
Mennonite Church British Columbia (1940-present)
Conference of Mennonites in Canada / Mennonite Church Canada (1940-2006)
General Conference Mennonite Church (1959-1999)
Cedar Valley Mennonite Church Leading Ministers
|Abram J. Pankratz||1940-1944|
|Jacob W. Nickel||1944-1946|
|Abram J. Pankratz||1946-1947|
|Henry C. Born||1977-1979|
|Waldy Klassen (interim)||1999-2000|
Cedar Valley Mennonite Church Membership
|Date Published||March 2012|
Cite This Article
Janzen, George. "Cedar Valley Mennonite Church (Mission, British Columbia, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2012. Web. 31 Mar 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cedar_Valley_Mennonite_Church_(Mission,_British_Columbia,_Canada)&oldid=91364.
Janzen, George. (March 2012). Cedar Valley Mennonite Church (Mission, British Columbia, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 31 March 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cedar_Valley_Mennonite_Church_(Mission,_British_Columbia,_Canada)&oldid=91364.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.