From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
m (Bibliography)
(Reverted to Mennonite Encyclopedia text with additional paragraph; added tables)
Line 1: Line 1:
The Cedar Grove congregation began services in 1867, and formally organized in 1912. The grounds were used as a [[Cemeteries|cemetery]] from as early as 1824.  The first building, built by Samuel Reesor, was donated to the Mennonites in 1861. Samuel Reesor is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from the [[United States of America|United States]].
+
__TOC__
 +
The Cedar Grove Mennonite Church (MC) in [[York County (Ontario, Canada)|York County]], [[Ontario (Canada)|Ontario]] began in the early 19th century. From about 1824 the grounds were used for burial purposes. In 1861 Samuel Reesor, grandfather of L. J. Burkholder, and owner of the property, built a frame meetinghouse and gave it to the [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]. Regular services are recorded for this since after 1867. The preaching was in German until 1882. Cedar Grove was neighbor to the [[Reesor Mennonite Meetinghouse (Markham, Ontario, Canada)|Reesor Wisler Mennonite Church]] and served the members of the [[Mennonite Conference of Ontario and Quebec|Mennonite Conference of Ontario]] in the southeastern part of [[Markham (Ontario, Canada)|Markham Township]], York County.  
  
The meetinghouse was located on the west side of 10th Line of Markham Township north of Steeles Ave. Minister Lawrence Burkholder served in 1986 as a congregational leader. In 1925 there were 25 members; in 1950, 45; in 1965, 35; in 1975, 42; in 1985, 49. 
+
About the year 1864 a [[Sunday School|Sunday school]] was opened by neighbors and conducted for several years, and again in 1887 a union Sunday school was organized at this place and carried on until 1895. In 1896 a Mennonite Sunday school was organized which, with a few interruptions between 1905 and 1932 when the Wideman Sunday school served both churches, was regular at Cedar Grove.
  
Cedar Grove joined with [[Steele's Ave. Mennonite Church (Markham, Ontario, Canada)|Steeles Ave. Mennonite]] in 1986 to form the [[Rouge Valley Mennonite Church (Markham, Ontario, Canada)|Rouge Valley Mennonite]] Church; the new group met on the former Cedar Grove site. It had been affiliated with the [[Mennonite Conference of Ontario and Quebec|Mennonite Conference of Ontario]] since 1868, as well as the [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]. The language of worship was English; the transition from German occurred in 1882.
+
Ministers who served here were Samuel Hoover of Ontario County; Samuel R. Hoover of Markham; John G. Hoover; [[Burkholder, Lewis Josephus (1875-1949)|Lewis J. Burkholder]], and A. Lorne Burkholder. At this place [[Burkholder, Oscar (1886-1956)|Oscar Burkholder]] was ordained to the ministry in 1912. Here Samuel G. Reesor, a deacon, expired in the pulpit while at prayer on 10 August 1913. Other deacons who served at this place were Jacob G. Reesor, Isaiah Hoover, Amos Burkholder. The 1952 membership of this church was 39.
  
About 1864 a Sunday school was conducted for several years. A union Sunday school flourished from 1887 to 1896, after which a Mennonite Sunday school carried on.
+
Cedar Grove joined with [[Steele's Ave. Mennonite Church (Markham, Ontario, Canada)|Steeles Ave. Mennonite]] in 1986 to form the [[Rouge Valley Mennonite Church (Markham, Ontario, Canada)|Rouge Valley Mennonite]] Church; the new group met on the former Cedar Grove site. The meetinghouse was located on the west side of 10th Line of Markham Township north of Steeles Ave.  
 
+
Ministers prior to 1950 included Samuel Hoover, John G. Hoover, [[Burkholder, Lewis Josephus (1875-1949)|L. J. Burkholder]] (for 50 years) and A. Lorne Burkholder. Samuel G. Reesor, a deacon, died in the pulpit in August 1913 while leading in prayer.
+
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
<em>Mennonite Reporter</em> (7 January 1985): 12.
 
<em>Mennonite Reporter</em> (7 January 1985): 12.
  
Burkholder, L.J.  <em>A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario.</em> Kitchener, ON: Mennonite Conference of Ontario, 1935: 107-111.
+
Burkholder, L.J. <em>A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario.</em> Kitchener, ON: Mennonite Conference of Ontario, 1935: 107-111.
  
 
Congregational Records at [https://uwaterloo.ca/mennonite-archives-ontario/ Mennonite Archives of Ontario].
 
Congregational Records at [https://uwaterloo.ca/mennonite-archives-ontario/ Mennonite Archives of Ontario].
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 537|date=1953|a1_last=Fretz|a1_first=Joseph C|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
+
= Additional Information =
 +
== Cedar Grove Mennonite Church Pastors ==
 +
{| class="wikitable"
 +
|-
 +
! Name !! Years<br />of Service
 +
|-
 +
| Samuel Hoover || 1870s-1893
 +
|-
 +
| Samuel R. Hoover || 1888-?
 +
|-
 +
| John G. Hoover || 1892-?
 +
|-
 +
| [[Burkholder, Lewis Josephus (1875-1949)|Lewis J. Burkholder]] || 1896-1946
 +
|-
 +
| A. Lorne Burkholder || 1940-1958
 +
|-
 +
| George Elsasser || 1958-1960
 +
|-
 +
| Laurence Martin || 1962-1964
 +
|-
 +
| Glen Brubacher || 1965-1981
 +
|-
 +
| Lawrence Burkholder || 1982-1986
 +
|}
 +
== Cedar Grove Mennonite Church Members ==
 +
{| class="wikitable" style="text-align: right;"
 +
|-
 +
! Year !! Members
 +
|-
 +
| 1925 || 25
 +
|-
 +
| 1950 || 45
 +
|-
 +
| 1965 || 35
 +
|-
 +
| 1975 || 42
 +
|-
 +
| 1985 || 49
 +
|}
 +
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 537|date=1953|a1_last=Fretz|a1_first=Joseph C|a2_last=Steiner|a2_first=Sam}}

Revision as of 16:06, 11 January 2014

Contents

The Cedar Grove Mennonite Church (MC) in York County, Ontario began in the early 19th century. From about 1824 the grounds were used for burial purposes. In 1861 Samuel Reesor, grandfather of L. J. Burkholder, and owner of the property, built a frame meetinghouse and gave it to the Mennonite Church. Regular services are recorded for this since after 1867. The preaching was in German until 1882. Cedar Grove was neighbor to the Reesor Wisler Mennonite Church and served the members of the Mennonite Conference of Ontario in the southeastern part of Markham Township, York County.

About the year 1864 a Sunday school was opened by neighbors and conducted for several years, and again in 1887 a union Sunday school was organized at this place and carried on until 1895. In 1896 a Mennonite Sunday school was organized which, with a few interruptions between 1905 and 1932 when the Wideman Sunday school served both churches, was regular at Cedar Grove.

Ministers who served here were Samuel Hoover of Ontario County; Samuel R. Hoover of Markham; John G. Hoover; Lewis J. Burkholder, and A. Lorne Burkholder. At this place Oscar Burkholder was ordained to the ministry in 1912. Here Samuel G. Reesor, a deacon, expired in the pulpit while at prayer on 10 August 1913. Other deacons who served at this place were Jacob G. Reesor, Isaiah Hoover, Amos Burkholder. The 1952 membership of this church was 39.

Cedar Grove joined with Steeles Ave. Mennonite in 1986 to form the Rouge Valley Mennonite Church; the new group met on the former Cedar Grove site. The meetinghouse was located on the west side of 10th Line of Markham Township north of Steeles Ave.

Bibliography

Mennonite Reporter (7 January 1985): 12.

Burkholder, L.J. A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario. Kitchener, ON: Mennonite Conference of Ontario, 1935: 107-111.

Congregational Records at Mennonite Archives of Ontario.

Additional Information

Cedar Grove Mennonite Church Pastors

Name Years
of Service
Samuel Hoover 1870s-1893
Samuel R. Hoover 1888-?
John G. Hoover 1892-?
Lewis J. Burkholder 1896-1946
A. Lorne Burkholder 1940-1958
George Elsasser 1958-1960
Laurence Martin 1962-1964
Glen Brubacher 1965-1981
Lawrence Burkholder 1982-1986

Cedar Grove Mennonite Church Members

Year Members
1925 25
1950 45
1965 35
1975 42
1985 49


Author(s) Joseph C Fretz
Sam Steiner
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Fretz, Joseph C and Sam Steiner. "Cedar Grove Mennonite Church (Markham, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 30 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cedar_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Markham,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=105468.

APA style

Fretz, Joseph C and Sam Steiner. (1953). Cedar Grove Mennonite Church (Markham, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cedar_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Markham,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=105468.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 537. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.